Thursday, June 16, 2011

And We're Back

So I'm not going to make a big fuss about the lack of posts here. Instead, let me just say I'm going to try to be diligent about writing more frequently but less quantity. Anyway, you're not too concerned with that, I'm sure.

So May was a trial--less "trial and error" trial, more "trial and tribulation" trial. I ran into a variety of disappointments and felt a bit cynical as a result. However, following Elsie's return from vacation, the start of the rainy season, and the swearing-in of Peace Corps Belize class of 2013, my spirits are rising. Likewise, Kathryn and I both are gearing up for summer camps, and the thought of working with youth really excites me.

On the personal front, we spent Monday having our mid-service physicals. The good news is that we're healthy. The bad news is that we have some work to do on the dental front. Coming into Peace Corps, I had never had a cavity. Monday, the dentist found two. I guess my record still stands, though; technically, I have never had a (singular) cavity. Kathryn had a similar dental record--her first two cavities were discovered during out pre-service dental check-ups. Unfortunately, this time the dentist found six more, on top of the fact that she lost one of her previous fillings. I don't know if it's the water, the Coke with real sugar, the pastry shop across from my work, or the copious amounts of chocolate people send in our packages (I'm looking at you, Dad), but we need a bit of a change. So, two dentists appointments, five fillings, and four hours later, we were both cranky and vaguely numb from the whole experience. I hate going to the dentist.

On a separate note, in less than 15 minutes, I will be traveling to the primary school where I have my girls soccer team to gather them for our end-of-year party. We'll come back to the centre to watch a movie, eat popcorn, and generally celebrate the time we've spent together. They have been one of my greatest joys and my biggest disappointments thus far. Playing with them is fun, and talking and joking with them has been cathartic on many levels. However, due to poor planning on the part of tournament sponsors, their tournament, which was meant to be in May, was finally scheduled for this past Tuesday. Unfortunately, because of exams and graduation practice, none of the girls were able to attend. I'll end my time as their coach without ever seeing them play a game. C'est la vie. I don't regret a moment I've spent with them, and I hope this party will cap a wonderful time for us all.

I think that's all I have time for, for now anyway. I do need to pick the girls up soon. If you're still checking the blog, thanks. Your patience and steadfastness is much appreciated. Look forward to hearing from us again soon.

Peace,

Cisco

2 Comments:

At June 17, 2011 at 5:43 AM , Anonymous Kristen Kevorkian said...

Happy to see the update! Thanks for linking it in facebook Cisco!

I am sorry it has not been a great month, I hope it gets better soon with less cavities.

Love to both of you!

 
At June 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cisco & Kathryn!!!!!
Hey Cisco, I'm glad your are back at the key board. at leasr in a short version, sorry about your dental status, quit candy, coke & other sweets. I'm sorry to hear about your girls soccer team, I know how much effort you have put into it; HEADS UP!!!!! No more candy on my part, enstead, perhaps flouraide. I hope the library project is going well for Kathryn.
XOXOXOXO!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home