Monday, April 19, 2010

Fun in the sea-side

Buen dia! I am blogging in the Stann Creek Educational Resource Center. I can literally see the ocean from the room I'm in. We've been in Dangriga all weekend doing a visit with current PCV's Alyson & Cliff. It has been a wonderful weekend that included, but was not limited to, swimming in the Caribbean Sea, barbecuing at Mile 25 of the Hummingbird Highway (also know as the Hummingbird Community), swimming and playing soccer with the folks at Mile 25, enjoying the Pelican Resort, eating copious amounts of Alyson's wonderful home-cooked meals, being eaten by sandflies (I have at minimum 50 bites on my ankles and feet), and sleeping in. It has been great getting to know Cliff and Alyson, too. I already feel like they're old friends we've known forever.

Things are constantly on the move here. Last week we only had one full day in our village, spending the rest all over the countryside with other trainees, learning technical and language components all along the way. We're also working on our service projects that need to be implemented before our training is completed in May. To add to that, we haven't even seen Succotz since Friday morning and won't see it until tomorrow afternoon, after our language training in Belmopan. At least we've had a reprieve this weekend. I hope this relaxing time can re-energize us for the coming weeks.

A couple of quick house-keeping things before I depart: First, I'm so glad to see all the comments. Knowing that you are all following our journey motivates us to no end. Second, we have started a wish list. So far, anyone who would be so kind as to send the following items may be nominated for sainthood, or some such honor: Calagel (clear anti-itch cream that uses aloe), Post-Its, travel sized hand sanitizer, note-cards, and colored computer paper. I'm sure there will be plenty more where these have come from, but I think those are our most immediate needs. And finally, don't worry, there will be plenty more blogging to come!

Peace,
Cisco

2 Comments:

At April 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys!!!!! All of your adventures are so amazing!!! I am quite pleased to here that you did not turn into mermaids on good Friday, and equally happy for you that you were able to enjoy some Michael Jackson videos. I am glad to see that you are adjusting well, and surrounded by wonderful people. Continue to stay safe and happy. I think about you every day!!!! Love, Kathleen

 
At April 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

What would I DO without post-its!? DEFINITELY sending those your way, haha. Glad you guys had a moment of fun and friends and food! Missing you like CRAZY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home