Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Quickie

So Cisco and I are finally getting into some sort of routine so there haven't been a lot of new things to post. Cisco was unable to do a update today because he was so gutted by the Spain and Swiss futbol game. I am not as diehard a fan as Cisco but that one left me feeling a little sick as well. We have been watching a lot of futbol and are thoroughly enjoying the World Cup. Cisco even gets up at 5:30 to watch the first game, I am not that devoted, and I prefer my workout time in the morning before it reaches 100,000 degrees. Yes it is still hot here, and yes we are in the rainy season, except it rains like 2 times a week hard and fast in the middle of the night, makes everything humid, then it is just hot again.

Quick story about something I had to do today it is not overly interesting but it gives you a little perspective on some of the challenges we face every day that you probably wouldn't realize. I got an email from the peace corps office saying we had packages last week. So I road my bike on Friday after work the 2 hot and somewhat hilly miles to the office, only to get there and find out our mail is being forwarded to the post office now and that they only had the papers I needed to claim the packages. Well, the post office is a few miles away and it would have probably been closed had I decided to attempt another long ride, which would not have been out of the way of going home, nor would it have been on the way either. So then I had to wait out the weekend and finally stopped putting off the long ride, another few mile bike ride to the post office, and went today. I road to the office and realize one of my blessed packages weighed 30 pounds, I am not sure if that is true but it was really heavy. The other was smaller and lighter but still a substantial package. So I brought my backpack and had to open the big package and attempt to shove all of it into my backpack. I did get it to fit but my misshapen backpack was then very very heavy, uncomfortable, and I couldn't fit the smaller package in it too so I had to balance it on my handlebars. For those of you who have seen me ride a bike and have heard about my childhood accidents on a bike please try to visualize how ridiculous this ride looked. Also, I am required by the PC to wear a helmet even when it is 2 pm and 100 degrees out, so I am riding home, sweating so much I feel like I am standing under a hot salt water waterfall, if I move my hand even an inch to wipe the sweat or anything else, I swerve violently and risk losing my package. I lost my second pair of sun glasses and am also squinting to the point where I am not sure my eyes are actually open, and my shoulders are burning under the weight. All I could do the whole ride is try my best to keep my balance, and laugh hysterically at myself because I knew how ridiculous I looked and how funny the simple task of getting my packages had turned into. Sorry if that wasn't an interesting story but don't forget to appreciate the simple things in life because not everybody have those things available to them. And if you are ever down and having a bad day, please picture me on this bike ride. Also don't stop sending packages I am not complaining just explaining. Especially because the packages we got, from Tess and Kim, kicked ass and I will email you more about them tomorrow, Cisco hasn't gotten to see them yet.

Thank you for all of the great comments about our new home, we love it and appreciate your responses. Uploading pics takes forever but we will try to get some more on there. So far we only saw one small cockroach weeks ago and no real ant problems which is a miracle in Belize. Our one problem has been... rats. Yuck. We set a live trap and have captured two, Cisco called one a mouse but I think they were both pretty freaking big. Then we disposed of them, I know it is sad and I appreciate all of God's creatures but these damn things have been keeping me up all night for weeks with their nightly circus tricks in the ceiling so good riddance.

I will have Cisco update you on our job stuff soon but things are going fine so far.

Love you all and cuidate (take care)
Kathryn

1 Comments:

At June 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Kathryn! That was hilarious. I had to read it out loud to Mike and I will be picturing you on that bike for years to come! It did make me pause after my awful day with the kids acting up at every opportunity, how wonderful it is to have a car to runn errands and shop for groceries! You will have weight problems while you are in Belize. Either it is too hot to eat, or you will sweat out all the extra calories on that bike.

Today the girls and I completed our shopping for you and Cisco. If that package you carried today on your bike was from me, then I am a bit worried - I think I mailed it about a month ago. So, it may be a while before you get this next box and the box is pretty big. Maybe you should send Cisco for it! Anyway, I am mailing it in the morning. I hope the clothes will work. By the time you get them, if they don't work, it will be too late to return them, so feel free to share them with other Peace Corps friends that might be able to use them. Love to you both. Kim

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home